Saturday, November 23, 2013

I'll Be Seeing You

Today we held the funeral services for Nana, my grandmother, Lois Armstrong Campbell.  It was the most touching, emotional, spiritual moment I've had in a long time.  And it was so Nana.  Her favorite Psalms from the Bible, her favorite hymns, singing from the great grands and so many stories shared by her family.  What stuck with me the most is the legacy of love that she has left behind.  Not just with her family, but with her actions.  Everyone who spoke, spoke about how she had looked out for them, cared for them, helped them and made them feel welcome.

It got me thinking that I hope people say kind words about me when I'm gone.  What will they say about me?  What will my legacy be?  I hope it's that I was loving, kind, gentle, and that I made a difference.  That  I helped those who are less fortunate, that I was a good mom and wife, and that I was someone people could rely on.  Do I want my legacy to be one about my impact on my family, my impact in my work with teenagers, or my impact in being an inspiration in health/fitness?  Do I want to change career paths and become a counselor working with substance abusing adolescents?  Do I want to spend time volunteering somewhere? My Nana has left behind not only amazing family roots for me, but thoughts to ponder about how I want to live my life.  Just like Nana would want. :)

I will forever miss the gentle, funny, determined, Christian grandmother who has provided me with countless memories and always made me feel loved.




No comments:

Post a Comment